Tales of the Abyss
OP's Note
I'm changing the format of these episodic postings. Whenever I look at the past few postings a thought comes to mind within the lines of "TL;DR". With the length of those previous posts, it's like I'm writing a book -- there's only so much to document in a 25 minute episode! Therefore, these postings will be MUCH shorter in length and will be more generalized for what happens in the episode. Thus, I won't include EVERYTHING that happens, as I've done before, but only the keypoints of the plot. Everything else is for you to watch and enjoy.

OP note #2: I'm adding in a spoiler toggle. Some of you may just want to see the pictures, but do not want to be tempted by the synopsis of what occurs in this episode. So, there you go! Smile

Episode 4: Hidden Truth

Recap from last time:

Luke and Tear are held prisoners by Colonel Jade Curtiss, also known infamously as Jade the Necromancer. Jade request the help of Luke and Tear to transport Fon Master Ion to the Kimlascan capital to deliver a peace treaty on behalf of the Mulkuth Empire. Three of the Oracle Knights are revealed and attempt to take back Ion, but in the end, is rescued by Jade. Luke and company head toward a rendezvous point only to be ambushed by more Oracle Knights.

Key plot points:
  • Luke and company are inside a house, located somewhere near the Fubras River, with Tear resting. Tear is able to heal her wound with her fonic abilities.
  • They are headed toward Naval Port Kaitzur, near the Mulkuth border.
  • Luke is popular with the ladies: Tear, although Jade was joking about this and calling them "in harmony"; Anise, she confesses in a letter to Jade about her feelings that is read aloud by Master Ion and calls Luke her "prince".
  • Luke learns more about the history of the Score and Fonstone abilities to predict the future. Both Kimlasca and Mulkuth nations are after the Fonstones, which provoked a war several decades ago. In particular, they are after the Seventh Fonstone – one personally hidden by Yulia herself.
  • All six God-Generals of the Oracle Knights are revealed: Legretta the Quick, Arietta the Wild, Largo the Black Lion, Dist the Reaper, Sync the Tempest, and Asch the Bloody
  • Two of the six God-Generals are up to no good and pressure Arietta the Wild to take back revenge.
  • Arietta attacks the only ship at port, Luke and co.'s transport back to Kimlasca. She also kidnaps the sole engineer who can repair the ship.
  • They go to the Choral Castle, which was once Duke Fabre's vacation house, and in particular, where they found Luke 7 years ago when he was kidnapped, to rescue the ship's engineer.
  • When inside the castle, Guy has a memory flashback when Anise accidentally glomps him instead of Luke. Apparently, Luke isn't the only one who has lost memories, except Guy has only lost the memory of how his family died.
  • Luke is kidnapped (again) by a flying liger.
  • Arietta was raised by ligers, this is her revenge on Luke co.'s attack on her mother, the queen liger, the same one they killed in the second episode.
    Note: Ragia and liger can be used interchangeably, my first post about TotA had "ragia". "Ragia" is a Japanese word that literally means "liger" in English. Now you know. Smile
  • Anise is a puppeteer and is able to help in Luke co.'s defense by attacking Arietta, or rather, "Gloomietta".
  • Luke is in some sort of machine where several God-Generals are extracting data from Luke onto fondisks so they can analyze later.
  • The amazing Guy saves the day again by scaring off the God-Generals, and also de-masking one of them and recognizing him, and retrieved one of the few fondisks of Luke's data. Jade will analyze it.
  • Luke & co. save the engineer, the ship's crew is overjoyed, and they get ready to set sail for Kimlasca.

Episode impressions:

Luke tells Mieu to shut up (urusai!) so many times in this episode, so many times it's hilarious. I can only imagine how it would be in the actual game, ah yes, Mieu with his high pitched squeal going off every 5 seconds whenever there's a battle going on. Not only that, Luke also tells Guy to shut up as well regarding his popularity with the ladies of the group.

Alright, so we learn the names of the remaining three God-Generals, which we will no doubt encounter soon before this season is over, and more history about the Score and more about Fonics. Always good to keep those well-informed about what's going on, especially for those who haven't played the game (i.e. me), so pretty much everything is fresh as it unfolds.

In tone with the game, Luke and co. have to save the only engineer that can repair the ship. I find it funny that a ship of that size has only one engineer, isn't there an apprentice engineer who can pretty much do the same job? I hate to wonder what would happen if that engineer became sick or, worse, keels over during a voyage.

For Guy, we find out why he has a phobia against girls, because of this one memory that has been lost. It looks like his mother (or a sister) was thrown out somewhere high. Sad, really, especially since Guy saves the day twice in a row.

With that, the next episode: Chosen Hero. Looks like they make all make it back to Kimlasca, but what's this? Anise finds out about Luke's prior engagement to Natalia (oh dear!), Tear meets with Mohs (oh the suspense!), Jade at a hearing - possibly with the Kimlasca government (war? peace?!), and another showing of Luke's mysterious power. Well, until next week.
SimsHsia
EZS Web Services
"I've reached field capacity!"

Messages In This Thread
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 3 - by SimsHsia - Sun Oct 12 2008, 06:03 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 4 - by SimsHsia - Sun Oct 19 2008, 08:07 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 5 - by SimsHsia - Sun Oct 26 2008, 08:45 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 6 - by SimsHsia - Sun Nov 2 2008, 03:34 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 7 - by SimsHsia - Mon Nov 10 2008, 09:40 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 8 - by SimsHsia - Mon Nov 17 2008, 09:41 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 9 - by SimsHsia - Thu Nov 27 2008, 10:43 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep.10 - by SimsHsia - Sun Nov 30 2008, 04:10 PM