Tales of the Abyss
Annoyed 
Episode 7: Isolation

OP note: I'm adding in a spoiler toggle. Some of you may just want to see the pictures, but do not want to be tempted by the synopsis of what occurs in this episode. So, there you go! Smile

Recap from last time:

Fon Master Ion is kidnapped, again, by Asch the Bloody, again. Van Grants is on a decoy ship headed toward Azeruith, the mining city in distress in the Mulkuth Empire; while the remainder of the group travel in an underground munitions factory to "escape" from Kimlasca and its guarded presence of Oracle soldiers guarding its exits. Luke discovers via a delusion that Ion is headed toward the Zao Ruins.

Key plot points:
  • Luke and the group are walking in the middle of the desert headed toward the Zao Ruins. He's forcing each member to quickly head there, not to rescue Ion but to meet up with a waiting Van near Akzeriuth.
  • After arriving at the Zao Ruins, they head inside and see Asch and two other God-Generals, Sync and Largo, with Ion removing a seal in front of a doorway.
  • Luke, despite his previous encounter on the Tartanis, has the courage to fight off Largo with Jade and Anise while Tear and Guy take on Sync. Asch eventually clashes individually with Luke until he performs a move Luke identifies as one of Van's moves which cases a portion of the ruins to cave in. The God-Generals flee as a result Spoiler follows, highlight to read: and Synch says at this point that Asch is the remnants of the "sacred flame".
  • The group are now in Chesedonia where they board a ship to Kaitzur. From there, they walk through a pass that will bring them to Akzeriuth.
  • Legretta then ambushes them and asks Tear to leave the group and re-join her. A flashback occurs revealing Legretta's and Tear's relationship as master and student making Tear who she is years later.
  • Legretta argues she and the rest of the God-Generals wish to free the people from the Score, to have freewill. Jade pushes her further, but Ion asks him not to, as there are some people who are better off not knowing the truth (Luke).
  • Being left in the dark about this, Luke has a fit and asks why nobody is telling him what's going on. At this point, everyone continues their trek toward Akzeriuth, but Tear is the only one who responds to him stating he's childish and a puppet on strings who needs Van to do anything. She advises that if he doesn't start thinking for himself, he may regret it later.
  • Luke recognizes that Van is the only person who truly understands him.

Episode thoughts:

OK, I've never been more annoyed at Luke until this episode, the past six episodes were mild and OK for me, but he really cranked out his attitude here. Ugh, he's even worse than Shana, Taiga, and Louise all combined! Even Anise is taking notice and argues with Luke for a bit calling him a fool/idiot, but when asked by Guy if she's still bothered by Luke, she states that it was only mildly annoying since she still likes him (and his money) - the only light note of this episode. I agree with Tear's advice to make up his own decisions and not blindly follow the requests of others, I can only guess that in the next few episodes Luke will be late in realizing this. If Van is the only person that understands Luke, he may be catering to Luke's desires until he betrays Luke at the right moment. By the way, that jump from Zao Ruins to Chesedonia, didn't feel right.

My thoughts for the spoiler: Spoiler follows, highlight to read: I can't say that I didn't see it coming, but it was bound to be revealed at some point. The reason why Asch looks so much like Luke is that Luke's parents may have had two children but abandoned Asch in favor of Luke due to the prophecy's sayings. If the OP sequence is any hint and holds true, looks like there will be a showdown toward the end of the season between the Asch and Luke.

Next episode, Collapse, the group arrive at Akzeriuth and Luke reunites with his precious Van <insert Luke's starry eyes here>. Judging by the preview, looks like things can only get more worse from here and even more annoying Luke (most likely). Oh boy, I hear it gets better after this arc, we'll see.
SimsHsia
EZS Web Services
"I've reached field capacity!"

Messages In This Thread
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 3 - by SimsHsia - Sun Oct 12 2008, 06:03 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 4 - by SimsHsia - Sun Oct 19 2008, 08:07 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 5 - by SimsHsia - Sun Oct 26 2008, 08:45 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 6 - by SimsHsia - Sun Nov 2 2008, 03:34 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 7 - by SimsHsia - Mon Nov 10 2008, 09:40 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 8 - by SimsHsia - Mon Nov 17 2008, 09:41 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 9 - by SimsHsia - Thu Nov 27 2008, 10:43 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep.10 - by SimsHsia - Sun Nov 30 2008, 04:10 PM