Tales of the Abyss
Cool 
Warning: This thread contains spoilers, (to state the obvious) don't read the plot summary if you want to avoid being spoiled.

Background Information

Tales of the Abyss is a action adventure fantasy genre adaptation of the role playing game (RPG) for the Playstation 2 developed by Namco of the same name in the Tales series, with Sunrise being the animation company responsible for this series, notable for animating the Code Geass and Gundam anime series, and are expected to come out with 26 total episodes -- so it should finish up toward the end of March 2009.

OP: Karma by BUMP OF CHICKEN
ED: Bouken Suisei by Enomoto Kurumi

OP's Note

As I have not played this game before, this will take a slightly different format than other First Impression threads. As such, I'm unable to make any game-to-anime comparisons, thus there will only be a plot summary and an episode impression. If I decide to pick this up, see my overall impression at the very end, expect more posts about it!

Apologies if I state anything inaccurately, as noted above, I have not played the game, so please forgive me for any errors you may see. In regards to sentence structure and grammar, I wouldn't call myself a very competent writer, so my apologies in advance – I'll strive to make it the best to my ability.

Episode 1: Prophet (Score) of the World
Plot Summary:

Yulia Jue prophesies the future for the world of Auldrant known to the people as the "Score". There are six total elements or "fonims": Shadow, Earth, Wind, Water, Fire and Light. Yulia possess a seventh fonim, one that can predict the future. She foretells in the "Score" about a long war between two nations of Kimlasca Lanvaldear and Malkuth, the creation of the Order of Lorelei a religious group bringing peace to the lands of Auldrant, and speaks of a red haired boy of royal blood to be known as the "Light of the Sacred Flame" who will lead Kimlasca to prosperity.

The story then starts in the present time about a swordsman named Luke, the son of Duke Fabre – a wealthy noble, in the nation of Kimlasca Lanvaldear. Luke was kidnapped as a boy seven years ago by the Malkuth, and was later returned only to have all of his memories erased. As such, both his mother and father fearing for his safety decreed that Luke should stay in the Fabre's mansion until he has come of age will he then be free to leave. Luke has a servant by the name of Guy Cecil, who took care of Luke like a younger brother. In addition, Luke has a fiancé by the name of Natalia who's marriage was arranged when both were born.

Later on in the episode, while Luke is dueling with Commander Van Grants, his teacher/mentor and head of the Oracle of Knights of the Order of Lorelei, and Guy looking on from the side, a mysterious woman enters the Fabre's mansion while casting a song spell to knock out the guards and maids. When she approaches Luke, Grant, and Guy they are unable to move until she stops casting. She then attacks Grant calling him a traitor only to be blocked by Luke when a Seventh Fonim spell activates between their weapons and causes them to be teleported far to the outreaches of Kimlasca.

The woman reveals her name to be Tear, calls a truce (sort of), and vows to Luke she will bear responsibility to bring him to the capital city of Kimlasca, where they were moments before the teleportation. Luke's first random encounter, I mean battle, takes place against magical monsters with Tear assisting by casting spells and slicing 'n dicing.

Both manage to find a transporter who can bring them back to the capital, but Tear had to barter a necklace in order to pay for the ride. The following morning, during the long journey back to the capital, they hear an explosions ahead of their transport coach.

Episode Impression
It feels like watching, but not playing, an RPG game. But, like any RPG game I've played before, there's always that moment where you have to learn everything about the world with tutorials and as well as learning the characters of the game. So far, the first episode of the Tales of Abyss is starting out nicely with, I presume, a quarter of the total number of party characters on an adventure to bring peace prosperity to their world. Which pretty much reminds me of Final Fantasy series (the only FF games I've played are FFIV Advance and FFX), but hopefully there won't be too many similarities. The animation quality is superb, and that's all I have to say about that. Look below for the second episode summary plot and impression. I find that Luke is very spoiled, and it shows in this episode, but I'm sure that's going to change now that he's experiencing the real world, far from his family's residence.

Episode 2: Forest of the Sacred Beast
Plot Summary:

The explosion Luke and Tear hear outside of their coach transport is coming from a gigantic floating ship attacking a vehicle racing toward the bridge, known as the Rotelro Bridge, they had just past. The fleeing vehicle consists of bandits known as the Black Wings, and the army (the ship) was in hot pursuit to capture them. However, the fleeing Black Wings get to the bridge and drop several bombs resulting in its destruction. Soon Luke and Tear find out their transporter had lead them out of Kimlasca and instead in the lands of the Malkuth Empire, and their only way back to Kimlasca was the Rotelro Bridge, now destroyed. Luke and Tear stop by a local village, Engeve, and find out how to get on a vessel to cross over to Kimlasca.

Several new characters are introduced including: Jade Curtiss, a Colonel in the Mulkuth Army and commander of the floating ship chasing after the Black Wings bandits; Fon Master Ion, the leader of the Order of Lorelei; Anise Tatlin, Ion's Master Guardian; and Mieu, a Cheagle, a legendary and sacred creature of the Order of Lorelei, wearing a sorcerer's ring allowing him to float and speak with humans and other creatures. With the introduction of Mieu, Tear finds him and the rest of the Cheagles "kawaii" or cute; however Luke finds him to have a highly annoying voice. In addition, we find out that Tear is the younger sister of Van Grants, whom she attacked earlier at the Fabre residence.

The majority of the episode brings Luke, Tear, Ion, and later Jade on a quest to resolve a dispute between the Cheagles and Raigas. Resulting with Jade overpowering the Raigas with an Indignation spell to bring it to unconsciousness. The episode ends in a cliffhanger as Luke and Tear are arrested by Jade and the several soldiers of the Mulkuth Army on the accusation of both being Seventh Fonists.

Episode Impression
The adventure has begun, divided by water and stuck in the nation of Mulkuth. This episode had me laughing a few times with Anise being way too hyperactive and falling face first while running to find Ion, Mieu scorching Luke's face, and a disgruntled Luke finding out that Mieu was not only temporarily disbanded from the Cheagles, but became his servant for a full year. Ion, when he learns of Luke's name, he states that when translated it means "Light of the Sacred Flame". Looks like Luke is destined for greatness, as foretold in Yulia Jue's prophecy. As for Luke and Tear's arrest, I can only predict that Ion will order Jade to release them at once when an occurrence requiring their help arises.

Overall Impressions

Wow, what can I say, the animation quality is fantastic along with exquisitely detailed backgrounds. The random encounter with monsters and the item exchange with the transporter made this anime feel like just like a role playing game, sans the HP or TP bars, damage hits and combos, or the amount of experience gained from each battle. The plot so far reminds me of Final Fantasy X with Yevin being the overall governing body for the land of Spira, just like how the Order of Lorelei is for Auldrant, in a way.

The OP sequence is nicely animated and the ED sequence showing series of textile art depicting all key characters. The OP and ED songs were easy to listen to, but at the moment I'm preferring the OP song but I'll still think about whether I'll be listening to it a couple hundred times with the other songs I've listened to.

Similar to Shakugan no Shana, there's a bit of terminology to learn, but hopefully Tales of the Abyss will define such terminology and answer many questions throughout this season for those who have not played the game (or the novels, for the case of Shakugan no Shana). Regardless of this fact, Tales of the Abyss is one of the few fantasy-genre animes this season, if you're looking for this particular genre, you can't go wrong with this one. As for whether or not if I'll continue this, I'm definitely continuing on with this series.
SimsHsia
EZS Web Services
"I've reached field capacity!"

Messages In This Thread
First Impressions: Tales of the Abyss Ep. 1 and 2 - by SimsHsia - Thu Oct 9 2008, 09:57 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 3 - by SimsHsia - Sun Oct 12 2008, 06:03 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 4 - by SimsHsia - Sun Oct 19 2008, 08:07 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 5 - by SimsHsia - Sun Oct 26 2008, 08:45 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 6 - by SimsHsia - Sun Nov 2 2008, 03:34 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 7 - by SimsHsia - Mon Nov 10 2008, 09:40 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 8 - by SimsHsia - Mon Nov 17 2008, 09:41 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 9 - by SimsHsia - Thu Nov 27 2008, 10:43 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep.10 - by SimsHsia - Sun Nov 30 2008, 04:10 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 11 - by SimsHsia - Tue Dec 9 2008, 08:38 PM
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 12 - by SimsHsia - Wed Dec 24 2008, 11:07 AM
Tales of the Abyss Ep. 13 - by SimsHsia - Wed Dec 24 2008, 08:31 PM
RE: Tales of the Abyss Ep. 13 - by SimsHsia - Wed Jan 21 2009, 08:02 PM