What are you watching now?
This weekend alone I've finished two anime series, picked up yet another airing this fall (that brings it to 7, G.R.E.A.T. *sigh* Tongue), watched an OVA, a movie, and two episode specials. First, I watched CLANNAD, animated by the well known KyoAni and yet another Key adaptation, which is yet another romantic comedy (but mostly comedy, it's not like Kanon (2006)) that acts like a harem, looks like a harem, but doesn't have the usual harem-ness in it. With the completion of CLANNAD, I decided to pick up CLANNAD ~After Story~ which is currently airing this season, and I'm caught up to the current (as of this post) sixth episode. Unlike the first season, C~AS~ still has story arcs, but it looks like it's giving secondary characters more screen time and several main supporting characters are given less. Now, I've been partially spoiled by what happens in this season, but when it happens, it happens.

For the OVA, CLANNAD: Another World, Tomoyo Chapter, a special twenty-fourth episode for the first episode that takes place in an alternative timeline. It's mostly catered for those Tomoyo x Tomoya fans. It was good, but I was sort of disappointed by it seeing as how it does take place in an alternative timeline, and thus, none of it ties into the first or second season's plot.

For the movie, Shakugan no Shana Movie, an alternative retelling of events that take place in the first season. Despite my previous recommendation to watch this as a substitute for watching the first season as an excuse to jump directly into the second season, I'll retract this recommendation as it is not very good substitute. I'll say it clearly this time: Shakugan no Shana Movie is an alternative retelling, and is not a good substitute for the first season. It's better to watch the first season then the movie, if you choose to do so. Most of the characters seen in the first season are not seen in this movie, and thus, one may wonder who these characters are when watching the second season. With that said, the animation is amazing as always in the Shana series, and it was nice to see a gentler Shana.

Finally, after almost a month hiatus, I've finally finished the remaining episodes of Shakugan no Shana II. Despite a slow start at the beginning, it makes up for it in the end. The ending felt rushed, but nevertheless, all the action that takes place definitely surpasses the ending of the first season. I'm also glad that Yuji finally made his choice but also sad for another, and I'm looking forward to a possible third season to tie up the story of what happens after as there is still much to see. As for the two episode specials are parody episodes based on events in Shakugan no Shana II. They poke fun at certain characters and scenes in the second season. That is all.

How I can remain sane for keeping up with seven anime series (roughly 20% of anime airing) airing, managing as a student, AND able to complete two anime series and other specials, no less, is still a mystery. *sigh*
SimsHsia
EZS Web Services
"I've reached field capacity!"

Messages In This Thread
What are you watching now? - by Toriban - Wed May 2 2007, 06:56 AM
RE: What are you watching now? - by kuponut - Wed May 2 2007, 07:18 PM
RE: What are you watching now? - by Toriban - Thu May 10 2007, 01:34 PM
RE: What are you watching now? - by SimsHsia - Fri Oct 3 2008, 08:24 PM
RE: What are you watching now? - by SimsHsia - Tue Oct 7 2008, 06:41 PM
RE: What are you watching now? - by Toriban - Wed Oct 8 2008, 02:28 AM
RE: What are you watching now? - by SimsHsia - Wed Oct 8 2008, 11:30 AM
RE: What are you watching now? - by SimsHsia - Sun Oct 12 2008, 10:09 PM