What are you watching now?
So, I (marathon) finished Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-Hen (True Mazinger Shock! Z-Chapter), the one that premiered in the spring and ended before the fall season started. For each episode, you can pretty much expect the same vocabulary said at least twice per episode: onore (curse you!/damn you!), kisama (you!), sono toori/iu toori (exactly/that's right), etc.

It's pretty much as action-packed and hot-blooded as Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann was but of course the Mazinger series was created years before TTGL - like 35 years before. If anything, they don't make many series like Mazinger anymore these days or as some sort of inspiration, which is what I think TTGL was inspired from.

Story wise, it's about these two brothers and their only last remaining relative, their grandfather, who are living out their lives as usual. However, their grandfather has a massive secret: he has created an combat robot that, with the right pilot, can be invincible in any battle. Kabuto Kouji, the eldest of the two brothers, is selected by his grandfather to pilot such a robot known as Mazinger Z. Both Kabuto Kouji and Kabuto Shiro's lives will change once they defeat their first two enemies in battle. They learn more about their past (like their parents who died in a car crash), the mystery behind the Mazinger Z, and ultimately the role of a two-faced Baron Ashura working for the evil Dr. Hell and their connection with the legends of the Mycenaean civilization. If they only knew what was up in store for them... There were a few unexpected plot twists that kept me guessing who was on the good or bad side, but it's all revealed in the last episode. At least those plot twists weren't like the trainwreck Code Geass was, but there may be a *tiny* similarity. Wink

Now with the ending, especially the last 4-5 minutes or so, made me say the following:
"Now, how can you go wrong with the ultimate combo of a Hundred Rocket Punch with the clearly superior Big Bang Punch?"
"Wonderful, now with him defeated it'll probably end with some happy en..."
"...wha..?"
"What's going...so everything was..."
"Oh man, this is a bad situation."
"ONORE!"

Without going into much detail about it, let's just say that there will probably be some continuation of it someday. In the same last episode (or was it the 2nd to last episode?) a few characters broke the fourth wall and one of them gave a hint that this could be the case.

Naturally, the last two episodes of battle left an impression where I have to watch some show or play some game that has/can make tons of explosions until I'm satisfied. Or, perhaps after 9 hours of marathoning it, I need to take some sort of walk...yeah, walking in nearly 2 feet of snow at night sounds good right about now.

===

EDIT:

Last episode of The Sacred Blacksmith: I guess sometimes villains are nice enough to wait during battle. I was thinking that there's no possible way it could end like that, so it felt like they rushed the ending and it's quite possible there will be a second season. Chances are low for me to continue it.
SimsHsia
EZS Web Services
"I've reached field capacity!"

Messages In This Thread
What are you watching now? - by Toriban - Wed May 2 2007, 06:56 AM
RE: What are you watching now? - by kuponut - Wed May 2 2007, 07:18 PM
RE: What are you watching now? - by Toriban - Thu May 10 2007, 01:34 PM
RE: What are you watching now? - by SimsHsia - Fri Oct 3 2008, 08:24 PM
RE: What are you watching now? - by SimsHsia - Tue Oct 7 2008, 06:41 PM
RE: What are you watching now? - by Toriban - Wed Oct 8 2008, 02:28 AM
RE: What are you watching now? - by SimsHsia - Wed Oct 8 2008, 11:30 AM
RE: What are you watching now? - by SimsHsia - Sun Oct 12 2008, 10:09 PM